Helping Dads Work It Out in Men's Health Week
Helping Dads Work It Out in Men’s Health Week
By Kerrie Gottliebsen
As part of Men’s Health Week, Working Out Dads facilitator Scott Hall offers helpful links for dads in the early years including blogs, stories, research and videos. The overwhelming theme is the importance of dads to the health of their children and families, but dads first need to look after themselves. Tweddle’s Working Out Dads is a 6-week after hours program designed to overcome barriers to health service support by dads of 0-4 year old children (i.e., long employment hours; stigma). As Men’s Health Week draws to a close, we highlight the need for Government to fund more early intervention and prevention programs for dads.
Resources for dads and families
- Great Australian Website for Mums, Dads and professionals – easy and accessible, heaps of good stuff on bringing up kids, and now some excellent tip sheets, videos and information for Dads, babies settling, sleep changes
- Tweddle’s tips and resources for Dads – Dads Information Centre
- Youtube clips of Dads talking about becoming a Dad – 2 or 3 minute clips about various aspects of new fatherhood.
- Great easy read on Dads and the research from one of Australia’s top researchers Richard Fletcher – good stuff on bonding, attachment, play and infant development. The Dad Factor
- Walid Ali talking about culture, big brothers and becoming a Dad in suburban Melbourne. Cross cultural and interesting perspectives. Men looking out for each other.
Read more about Tweddle’s Working Out Dads program here.